* 17.08.1896 in Taevere rural municipality, Viljandi County
† 05.01.1991 Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Prime Minister in duties of the President
1938-1940 member of the Riigivolikogu (second chamber of the Riigikogu 1938-1940). 1953-1963 Minister of Agriculture, 1963-1970 Deputy Prime Minister of the Estonian Exile Government.
Graduated from the High School of Sciences in Tartu, in 1916 studied in the building department of the Riga Polytechnical School, which was evacuated to Moscow, in 1918 studied in the agricultural department of the Baltic Technical University, opened in Riga by the German occupation administration on the basis of the Riga Polytechnical School and in 1920-1928 intermittently at the agricultural dept. of Tartu University, in 1924 additional education in the agricultural and veterinary department in Copenhagen Agricultural and Veterinary University.
1916 was mobilised to the Russian Army, finished the military school of Tsaritsyn (today Volgograd in Russia) in 1917, in 1917-1918 in the first World War served in an infantry regiment of the Russian Army, in the beginning of the year 1918 in a newly formed Estonian regiment at Viljandi. 1918-1920 in the Estonian War of Liberty, served on the broad-tracked armour train No. 2, as Commander of its machine-gun commandos. At the end of the war acting commander of the train, Lieutenant.
1925-1928 Assistant Head, 1928-1932 Head of Agricultural Bookkeeping Department, 1932-1938 Assistant and Managing Director, 1938-1940 Director of the Chamber of Agriculture. In 1940 put up a candidacy on the Riigivolikogu elections as one of the counter-candidates of the "Estonian Working People's Union", his candidacy was deleted with other counter-candidacies. In 1940-1941 lived in his father's farm at Paasioja. During the German occupation was director of the of the market management department in the Eesti Omavalitsus (Estonian Self-Government), was released due to conflicts with the occupation power, thereafter lived in his father's farm and worked in the Estonian Consumers' Centre.
In 1944 escaped to Sweden, 1945-1949 was employed at the Uppsala Agricultural University (at Ultuna) as archive assistant, 1945-51 an agricultural adviser in the Stockholm County, and in 1951-1975 a researcher for the Swedish Agricultural Union (Landbrukarnas Riksförbund) and in its Agricultural Economics Research Institute (Jordbrukets Utredningsinstitut), in 1957 Editor-in-Chief of the "Teataja" newspaper. Resigned in 1975.
From 1950 Member of the Board, later Honorary Member of the Agricultural Union of Free Estonians, 1971-1975 Chairman of the Estonian National Council, Honorary Member and Honorary Chairman of the Estonian Agronomists' (agricultural advisers') Society in Sweden, Honorary Member of the Swedish Society for the Development of Rural Regions (Sällskapet för Landbygdsutveckling).
Chevalier of the Polish Order of Restitution (Order Odrodzenia Polski).
Publications in the field of agriculture, published memoirs, and the book "The Broad Tracked Armour Train No. 2 in the War of Liberty" with Edvin Reinvaldt.
On 17.08.2013 was reburied to the Metsakalmistu in Tallinn.